The Big Boys Curry Book
Quick Coconut Ice Cream
When I was researching for the Reality Bites TV show that I was invited to take part in, I was desperate to find an ice cream recipe that didn't require cooking as due to the time restrictions of the show, I didn't think I would have enough time to make a classic custard based recipe and allow it to cool down before making the ice cream. This one fits the bill. You will need an ice cream maker however. It should serve 6-8 people.
- 400ml (2 cups) double cream
- 200ml (1 cup) milk
- 400ml (2 cups) thick coconut milk (use canned)
- Enough fresh finely grated coconut to fill a cup
- Blend grated coconut and ordinary milk in a liquidiser until smooth.
- Stir in cream and coconut milk.
- Sweeten the mixture to taste but remember, that the ice cream will taste less sweet in its frozen state than it will in its liquid state.
- Pour mixture into ice cream maker and process according to manufacturer's instructions.
- When made, place in freezer for 20 minutes at least.
- Before using check that it is not too solid, and if it is, allow to thaw gently in a fridge until proper consistency.