The Big Boys Curry Book
Dhaniya Keema, Minced Lamb
This Hyderabadi recipe for minced lamb is a typical Indian Muslim delicacy. It can be served with rice, bread and side vegetables. I like it on pasta as a change from bolognese sauce. Use lean lamb mince and if you have a mincer at home, pass it through that to make a very fine mince (ground) meat. This will serve 4 to 6 people.
- 750gr fine minced lamb
- 5 cloves garlic, 1 whole, 4 minced
- 2 bay leaves
- 300 gr minced onion
- 2 inch piece of cinnamon
- 3 cloves
- 3 green cardomon
- 1/2 inch piece of ginger, minced fine
- 2 green chillies, minced
- 1/4 tspn turmeric
- 3/4 tspn cummin powder
- 1 1/2 tspn coriander powder
- 2 tomatoes, chopped fine
- 1 large handful corinder leaf, chopped fine
- 1 tspn Garam Masala - Hot Spice blend
- Salt to taste
- 3 tblspn Oil.
- Boil mince in a pan of water with whole garlic clove and bay leaves for 5 minutes. Strain mince and discard water.
- Heat oil and fry onions until golden. Add ginger, garlic and chillies and cook for 2 minutes. Add mince and saute for 5 minutes.
- Add turmeric, cumin, coriander powder and half the garam masala and continue cooking for 5 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and salt to taste and cook until tomato is absorbed
- Add 1/4 pint of water and cook until meat is tender.
- When cooked and quite dry, add coriander leaf, remaining garam masala and stir through.